Tuesday, March 1, 2016

If a philosophy tree falls....


I didn't know there had ever been a philosophy tree, and now I find myself mourning its loss.
 A lone tree on a hill in the central Hokkaido town of Biei that served as the area’s top tourist attraction has been cut down due to its worsening condition and issues with visitors to the site.
“It’s always been here, growing old along with me. I’ll miss it,” said the 68-year-old owner of the farm where the tree stood.
The tree was cut down last Wednesday morning.
Dubbed the “Philosophy Tree,” the poplar, standing about 30 meters tall and with a diameter of 1.8 meters, owed its name to the resemblance to a philosopher lost in thought, with its head tilting to one side.
If it makes you feel any better, it took an hour to cut it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment