Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Fake academic publishing: ARIPD 'sound-alike' journals edition

At the Daily Nous, Justin Weinberg alerts his readers to the perils of sham 'sound-alike' journals:
So what is going on? Isn’t the Journal of International Philosophy and Theology a legitimate journal? Yes it is. But there is also a bogus Journal of International Philosophy and Theology that is scamming authors.
.....................
The bogus one lists an editor, Christopher Trogan (John Jay College, CUNY). He disavows any connection with them and reports that they are fraudulently using his name and background.
The editor of the legitimate IJP&T, Walter Van Herck, writes, “We are well aware of the fact that there is another fake journal using the name of IJP&T. We have contacted our publisher about this and they are investigating all possible reactions.”
Who is running the fake version of the journal? Kramer’s acceptance was on letterhead from the American Research Institute for Policy Development and authored by one Mamin Ullah.
Jeffrey Beall was onto the scam American Research Institute for Policy Development a couple of years ago.  In 2014 this fake academic publisher listed 52 journals. I started hearing from them in 2014.

Someone named Mamin Ullah seems to be located in Bangladesh and is also associated with something called the "Center for Promoting Ideas", also on Beall's list. 

To add to the growing sense that there are ever more sharks in academic publishing waters, notice that Beall has started keeping track of  scam metrics, measuring scholarly impact, and hijacked journals.
Two New Lists: Misleading metrics and Hijacked journals  This year, I started two new lists that track two new areas of questionable practices related to open-access journals. The Misleading metrics list includes companies that “calculate” and publish counterfeit impact factors (or some similar measure) to publishers, metrics the publishers then use in their websites and spam email to trick scholars into thinking their journals have legitimate impact factors. The Hijacked journals list includes journals for which someone has created a counterfeit website, stealing the journal’s identity and soliciting articles submissions using the author-pays model (gold open-access).
Misleading metrics: 38. Last year’s list had 26. (The list debuted in March, 2014.)
Hijacked journals: 101 (The list started in May, 2014.)
Yikes.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To all authors who are asked to submit publication fee to the journal "American Review of Mathematics and Statistics":

    I have received several messages from authors in the United States asking if I am the Chief editor of the journal. I will like to mention here that I am not the Chief editor of the journal and I have no relationship whatsoever with the journal. If you receive an acceptance letter of your work with my name (Dr. Michael Otunuga, Marshall University) on it as the Chief Editor, it is a fraud. The journal is a fraud. They are using my name without my consent as their Chief Editor. Beware and avoid sending any publication fee to them as long as you see my name as the Chief Editor. They are based in Bangladesh and they are trying to convince authors in the United States by putting my name as their Chief Editor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To all authors who are asked to submit publication fee to the journal "American Review of Mathematics and Statistics":

    I have received several messages from authors in the United States asking if I am the Chief editor of the journal. I will like to mention here that I am not the Chief editor of the journal and I have no relationship whatsoever with the journal. If you receive an acceptance letter of your work with my name (Dr. O.M. Otunuga, Marshall University) on it as the Chief Editor, it is a fraud. The journal is a fraud. They are using my name without my consent as their Chief Editor. Beware and avoid sending any publication fee to them as long as you see my name as the Chief Editor. They are based in Bangladesh and they are trying to convince authors in the United States by putting my name as their Chief Editor.

    ReplyDelete